Brew Method: Pour Over
The classic pour over is a filtered, non-immersion style brew method. Also known as the V-60, bee house, melitta or kalita drip, coffee made using the pour over method is clean, with a refined flavor and smooth finish.
Pour Over Brew Calculator
1. Fold the filter paper at the seam and place it in a clean cone.
2. Preheat water and using a slender spout water kettle, pour over the filter into mug to rinse filter paper and warm all the vessels.
3. Weigh out the correct number of beans on a scale and grind them with a burr grinder.
4. Place rinsed and warmed filter, dripper and mug on the scale. Place the fresh grounds into the dripper and give it a gentle shake to flatten the bed of grounds. Tare the scale. (Remember to remove the pre-heat water from step 2 before adding water to the grounds!)
5. Starting at the center, pour the water in a slow and even spiral over the grounds to fully saturate the beans and remove air pockets. Then let bloom for 30sec.
6. Using the scale to measure, continue to pour the remaining water ratio over the grounds. Be careful to not let the water level rise above the bed of grounds in the dripper, so this should take a few minutes to complete brewing.
7. When the last desired drips have drained from the dripper, remove the apparatus from the mug to drink.
Pour Over Variables
|Blue Bottle: Drip||1:1425g:250g||30-45s bloom 2.5min brew||sea-salt coarse||200°F||delicate and complex, simple and clean|
|Stumptown: Bee House||1:1821g:380g||30s bloom, 2.5min brew||table-salt fine||205°F||an easy and convenient way to brew excellent coffee at home|
|Ritual Coffee: V60||1:1525g:380g||30-45s bloom||#4.5 fine||205°F||a delicate and complex acidity and ripe, fruited sweetness|
|Sight Glass: V60||1:1620g:320g||30s bloom, 3.5min brew||medium-fine||1min after boiling||brews quickly and makes a nuanced, balanced cup|
|Verve: V60||1:1520g:300g||30s bloom, 3 min brew||medium||after boil||delicious.|